Re: Might understand this music stuff a bit better in the future

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: Might understand this music stuff a bit better in the future
Date: Thu, 12 May 2011 16:52:30 +0100

----- Original Message ----- From: "Graham Percival" <address@hidden>
To: "Phil Holmes" <address@hidden>
Cc: <address@hidden>
Sent: Thursday, May 12, 2011 1:06 PM

On Thu, May 12, 2011 at 12:08:23PM +0100, Phil Holmes wrote:
I've just received an unconditional offer to study a part-time
BA(Hons) in music from a local university.  I'm well pleased :-)

Congratulations!  Is this one hour a day, two hours a day, or
what?  And does it include music (performance) lessons?  (it seems
that in the UK, music at universities require little or no
performance)

Well, if a first degree is full-time at 5 days per week, then this is half-time, at 2 1/2 days per week. Actual attendance at University for lectures is less, of course, but probably on campus for 2 (part) days per week. It does involve performing - see http://www.colchester.ac.uk/swinburne/events/default.htm - quite a few of these are students. Apart from the fact that it's quite close, I chose this because of the emphasis on theory and performing. The selection process involved performing 2 songs, and some on-the-fly theory - quite simple stuff, but theory all the same.

Also, isn't the (Hons) decided when you graduate, not when you
appy?  ;)

No - you have to be on an Hons course to start with. I think that if you get to the 3rd year, you either get Hons or fail.

--
Phil Holmes