Re: Pure properties

From: Joe Neeman
Subject: Re: Pure properties
Date: Tue, 24 May 2011 12:08:48 +0300

A pure callback is one that has no side-effects. In define-grobs.scm, you will find a list of pure callbacks, along with an associative list that allows you to substitute a non-pure callback for a pure one.

Pure callbacks are important for spacing and page-breaking, particularly pure Y-extent and Y-offset callbacks. For example, a slur cannot know its true Y-extent until after the page breaks, line breaks, and horizontal spacing have been completed. But we need to know its Y-extent while computing the page breaking, so we can see if things fit on a page without collisions; hence ly:slur::pure-height.

Cheers,
Joe