Re: separating flags from noteheads in font (issue4273119)

From: Marc Hohl
Subject: Re: separating flags from noteheads in font (issue4273119)
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2011 11:49:17 +0200

Am 13.06.2011 22:16, schrieb Janek Warchoł:
2011/6/13 Janek Warchoł<address@hidden>:
Bad news: it doesn't work (the flags are squashed)
An idea came to my mind - maybe we can use our *.table files in feta-flags?
Is it possible to tell our build system to compile feta-noteheads
first and feta-flags (which would contain a reference to
feta-noteheads.otf-gtable) second? Is this viable?
I don't know. I searched through the source files,
and IIUC black_notehead_width depends on the function draw_outside_ellipse
(defined in feta-noteheads.mf) and the puff_up_factor (defined in
feta-params.mf).

So while you are restructuring the metafont files anyway (well, kind of),
would it make sense to collect the drawing functions like draw_outside_ellipse
in another file, perhaps feta-routines.mf?

Then you could include that file in both feta-noteheads.mf and feta-flags.mf
and call draw_outside_ellipse to compute the value of black_notehead_width.

I think this is easier to maintain than forcing an order in which the files
are handled during the build process, and it makes testing more easy, because
the files are handled independently.

But this looks like a whole lot of work ... :-(

Just my 2ct,

Marc

cheers,
Janek