Re: how to interpret these regtest results?

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: how to interpret these regtest results?
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2011 13:55:31 +0100

re-sending to list.

On Sun, Jun 26, 2011 at 02:33:59PM +0200, Janek Warchoł wrote:
> 2011/6/26 Graham Percival <address@hidden>:
> > On Sun, Jun 26, 2011 at 02:13:06PM +0200, Janek Warchoł wrote:
> >> I know that test-output-distance.ly should show as a regression, but
> >> i'm not sure whether other things that appeared are regressions or not
> >> (especially that the differencies sem to appear in non-ly files).
> >
> > Looks fine.
>
> Ok. So in general "if there is no graphic output, there is no problem"?

No, unfortunately.  In general "if the changes match the kind of
changes you normally see, then there's no problem".  It'll take a
week or two for you to notice the kinds of changes in log files
that are normal.

See for example

I'll give another plug for "issues which hinder future
development".  Of course, like all issue lists, it's both
incomplete and contains issues which shouldn't actually be tagged
with "maintainability" -- but there's no point sorting this out if
nobody's working on them.  But this is hardly our worst
"chicken&egg" problem.
http://code.google.com/p/lilypond/issues/list?can=2&q=label:Maintainability&mode=grid&y=Priority&x=Type&cells=ids

> Hm, when i run 'make test-baseline', the output of
> 'test-ouput-distance.ly' on the left side of the comparison in
> '/out/test-results/index.html' should change, and each time i run
> 'make check', the output of 'test-ouput-distance.ly' on the right side
> should change?

Maybe.  I'm not certain if "make test-baseline" rebuilds stuff.
Maybe try "make test-clean", although I never trust any "clean"
stuff, so maybe nuke your build/ dir and rebuild test-baseline
from scratch every time?

> I keep running these on different branches and nothing seems to
> change... is it a problem that i have index.html opened in firefox all
> the time?

Having index.html open isn't going to affect anything (although of
course you'd need to reload that page to see changes)