lilypond-windows and -dgui

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: lilypond-windows and -dgui
Date: Sat, 2 Jul 2011 17:28:50 +0100

I've written a couple of applications for windows that use lilypond - the first runs lilypond from a small GUI application and displays the output in a window on the form (LilyPond monitor). The second is my regtest pixel comparator. In both cases it took me quite a long time to find out how (using C# .Net) to capture the output from lilypond. In the end I got it working for my monitor, but I've never been able to get it working for the regtest comparator, because it runs 4 threads with a lilypond invocation in each, and I think the output stream the .Net captures is a single one for the whole machine, so the output from each thread is interleaved.

Anyway, in an idle moment I remembered that there a 2 exes in the \bin directory - lilypond.exe and lilypond-windows.exe, and I'd never been able to work out what each actually does. I thought one might be able to make the "grab the output" exercise easier, and so I've been experimenting.

By default, lilypond.exe (when run from the command line) creates a PDF and sends all output to the cmd window. lilypond-windows.exe runs completely silently (the prompt returns immediately) and all you get is the output file - the PDF. However, if you run lilypond.exe -dgui file.ly, all you get in the command window is the version number - the output goes to file.log - without the version statement. If you run lilypond-windows.exe -dgui file.ly then there is no screen output and you get the same logfile as before.

I only found the -dgui by googling for lilypond-windows.exe (although I do remember this option being mentioned to me on one of the lists). Could we get it (and also the function of lilypond-windows.exe) documented - the usage manual would seem the best option?

--
Phil Holmes
Bug Squad