Re: GOP-PROP 3: C++ formatting (update)

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: GOP-PROP 3: C++ formatting (update)
Date: Sat, 2 Jul 2011 23:57:38 +0100

On Sat, Jul 02, 2011 at 03:13:05PM -0700, Keith OHara wrote:
> On Sat, 02 Jul 2011 13:19:23 -0700, Graham Percival <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> >[...] but I'd still want to run fixcc.py on the entire repo.
>
> Why run an indenter over the entire repository?
> Simply having the indenter tool available for individual commits
> would solve the problem.

1. newbies tend to trust that the existing material shows how they
should do things.  It's confusing if we have to tell them not to
follow the existing style.

2. if we indent files in conjunction with patches, then each patch
will display a huge number of irrelevant changes -- given that
we're changing the indentation tabs, pretty much the entire file
will change.  Any important diffs will be lost in the sea of
"everything changed" diffs.  Granted, git can avoid this with the
ignore-whitespace diff option, but IIRC astyle and fixcc.py also
produce some other changes.

Besides, the default in tools like gitk and Rietveld is to show
a normal diff.

I really think that if we're going to use any automatic source
formatter, it makes sense to take the plunge, run it on
everything, and then start from a "solid" base.

(I'm open to being convinced otherwise, though!)

> >Hmm.  This line gives me control characters, such as
> >
> >+      && !dir_.empt^A ())
>
> Maybe my posting method inserted a non-breaking space in the sed script.

Could be.  Does the fix-astyle-fiddle.py script work for you?  I
would be really surprised if git loses any characters, so you
should be able to see exactly what script I was running.