Re: tuplet number on cross-staff kneed-beam

From: Valentin Villenave
Subject: Re: tuplet number on cross-staff kneed-beam
Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2011 09:44:46 +0200

On Mon, Jul 4, 2011 at 11:10 PM, David Nalesnik <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hello, all --

Greetings,

> First of all, I hope that I'm asking this question on the appropriate list!

Since you're demonstrating a regression, I'm forwarding your message
to our bug- list.

> I'm trying to simplify the workaround relating to tuplet-number
> position on kneed beams
> http://lsr.dsi.unimi.it/LSR/Snippet?id=646
> and I'm running into an unexpected problem.
>
> My reasoning is that, since the tuplet number is positioned according
> to the bracket, a logical first (certainly hacky!) step is to move the
> (invisible) bracket to the beam by setting the 'positions property of
> the bracket to that of the beam.  Then, the position of the number
> could be refined according to its height, the thickness of the beam,
> etc.
>
> This works as planned, except that in 2.14.1, the staves are pushed
> apart dramatically.  \override Beam #'collision-voice-only has no
> effect on the problem.  Manually setting Beam #'positions can be used
> to fix the problem, but that is obviously inconvenient.
>
> I've attached an .ly file with the function (stripped down to fit just
> this case), and several images of the output (one is produced with
> 2.12.3, the other two with 2.14.1 -- one with an override of the Beam
> #'positions).  There doesn't appear to be any problem in 2.12.3.
>
> Is there anything I can do to fix this problem with the function?  Any
> help would be greatly appreciated!

Indeed, it's a problem I've been stumbling across as well. Several new
properties have been introduced with 2.14 ("stretchability", etc.);
you may want to have a look at
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.15/Documentation/notation/flexible-vertical-spacing-within-systems#within_002dsystem-spacing-properties

Whether the default behavior can/should be improved, is a question for
the Bug Squad :-)

Cheers,
Valentin.