Changes not propagating when (re)building docs

From: Joseph Wakeling
Subject: Changes not propagating when (re)building docs
Date: Tue, 05 Jul 2011 11:16:35 +0200

Hello all,

I'm preparing a few patches for the notation manual (the section on
contemporary music I started ages back but didn't follow through on
properly), but have encountered a problem.

I've built both Lilypond and the docs successfully, and now I'm editing
the file

   Documentation/notation/contemporary.itely

Once done with changes, naturally I use

   make doc

or

   make doc-stage-1

to rebuild the docs.  However, my changes to contemporary.itely are not
picked up on.  The only way I've found to remedy this is to entirely
delete the notation manual output:

   rm -r Documentation/out-www/notation*
   rm -r Documentation/notation/out-www

and redo the make doc-stage-1 from there, which seems rather messy.

To check it wasn't just contemporary.itely, I also tried playing with a
few of the other files in the Documentation/notation/ directory, with
the same result.

So, it looks like changes made to .itely files are not being picked up
as relevant to the build process.

Any suggestions on how to fix this?  It's not such a big deal to have to
manually delete and rebuild, but it would be nice for the build system
to automatically pick up on such changes.

Thanks and best wishes,

    -- Joe