RE: Changes not propagating when (re)building docs

From: James Lowe
Subject: RE: Changes not propagating when (re)building docs
Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2011 10:08:47 +0000

)-----Original Message-----
)From: address@hidden
)[mailto:address@hidden On
)Behalf Of Joseph Wakeling
)Sent: 05 July 2011 10:29
)To: address@hidden
)On 07/05/2011 11:16 AM, Joseph Wakeling wrote:
)> So, it looks like changes made to .itely files are not being picked up
)> as relevant to the build process.
)> Any suggestions on how to fix this?
)Sorry, missed a "Known Issues" note in the contributors' manual:
)  touch Documentation/notation.tely
)... also works.  Still, it's a hefty rebuild that results -- all the different
)untouched .itely files seem to be reprocessed -- is there any way of
)narrowing down the amount of stuff that needs to be rebuilt?
[James' reply:]
Joseph, being someone who makes small edits to the documentation regularly and
also learning the hard way, if you are making changes to  @lilypond examples it
is best to use Lilypond-book in a 'test.tely' file first (then you can use
texi2pdf to make a dummy PDF) this takes a few seconds and then when you are
happy with your example you can cut/paste it into the real document and then
make that final build.

There is no way currently around just rebuilding your small bit in that single
document that I am aware of.

I'm happy to help off-list (if I can) if you need more explanation on this.