Re: Adapt fixcc.py to use Astyle and/or emacs (issue4662074)

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Adapt fixcc.py to use Astyle and/or emacs (issue4662074)
Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2011 13:05:13 +0100

On Thu, Jul 07, 2011 at 12:47:23PM +0200, Jan Nieuwenhuizen wrote:
> Then that's probably largely my fault.  Sorry.  So somehow we
> unconsciously arrived at some status quo, but how can that be
> taken for a guideline or policy?

The policy element here is "we do not need to follow emacs
blindly".  As Reinhold just pointed out, the GNU policy explicitly
says "don't follow this blindly"!

If we have a discussion and decide that emacs is the best code
formatter, in terms of both the output code and ease-of-use, then
by all means let's officially adopt emacs as our (new?) policy.
(regardless of whether this is "new" or "old")

If we have a discussion and decide that style is the best code
formatter, in terms of both output code and ease-of-use, then
let's officially adopt astyle (plus pre-processor) as our new
policy.

I do not think that we are "being unfaithful" to GNU if we ended
up adopting astyle.