Re: GOP-PROP 5: build system output

From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen
Subject: Re: GOP-PROP 5: build system output
Date: Fri, 08 Jul 2011 08:24:37 +0200

Graham Percival writes:

> Let’s decide what we want to see when we do:
>
>   make
>   make doc

+1

> A variable, QUIET_BUILD, can be set and this will reduce the
> clutter but not eliminate it.

-0.5

Almost right.  However, try not to invent something new.  Please just
use the autoconf/automake behaviour, which follows mostly the convention
that Linux and Git git have set.

   http://www.gnu.org/s/hello/manual/automake/Options.html

To summarize

    the user of the package may influence the verbosity at configure run
    time as well as at make run time:

    * Passing --enable-silent-rules to configure will cause build rules to
      be less verbose; the option --disable-silent-rules is the default and
      will cause normal verbose output.

[we could change this default]

    * At make run time, the default chosen at configure time may be
      overridden: make V=1 will produce verbose output, make V=0 less
      verbose output.

Jan

Freelance IT http://JoyofSource.com | Avatar®  http://AvatarAcademy.nl