Re: GOP-PROP 5: build system output

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: GOP-PROP 5: build system output
Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2011 13:54:05 +0100

On Fri, Jul 08, 2011 at 09:10:40AM +0200, Matthias Kilian wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 08, 2011 at 08:24:37AM +0200, Jan Nieuwenhuizen wrote:
> >     * Passing --enable-silent-rules to configure will cause build rules to
> >       be less verbose; the option --disable-silent-rules is the default and
> >       will cause normal verbose output.
>
> The problem with the too verbose build output in lilypond is not
> related at all to the *make* output, IMHO. --enable-silent-rules
> only hides crucial information.

Absolutely!  I think we really need to distinguish between ((make
output)) and ((the output that you get after you type make)); so
far we've been using those concepts interchangably.

> Heck, at OpenBSD we even spent time to force
> --disable-silent-rules on all software packages by default,
> because it just sucks if a build fails and you don't see the
> exact command line parameters passed to the compiler or the
> linker.

True -- although sometimes configuration is done via environment
variables, which may or may not be displayed on the exact command
line.  (i.e. if something happens inside a subshell)

I'd like to have a general policy that we don't use environment
vars (at least, not within the build system) -- if you cut&paste
the exact command-line that you see in the make output, you should
get exactly the same behaviour (assuming that there's no
difference in files on the computer).