Re: Adds redirect-lilypond-output option tolilypond-book(issue4664060)

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Re: Adds redirect-lilypond-output option tolilypond-book(issue4664060)
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2011 23:04:18 +0100

Graham Percival wrote Wednesday, July 13, 2011 5:57 PM

On Wed, Jul 13, 2011 at 03:26:18PM +0100, Phil Holmes wrote:

My understanding (which is certainly not perfect) is that one of the
stream is buffered (stdout from memory, without checking) and the
other isn't, so that the worst that happens is that the lines are
not quite in the order that might be expected.

That "worst that happens" is beyond what's acceptable.  Seeing an
error message before the command that causes the error?  That
could easily chew up 10 hours of fruitless debugging while
somebody investigates a perfectly good command.

In light of this, let's go ahead with the separate log files for
now.

If the relative order of the messages to stdout and
stderr is important, how come it's better to completely
lose the relative order by placing them in separate
files?  If we are to remove messages from the console
then surely they must be interleaved properly in a single
file.  If a way can't be found for doing this I don't
see how we can change the present system - or have I
missed something?

Trevor