Re: Adapt fixcc.py to use Astyle and/or emacs (issue4662074)

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Re: Adapt fixcc.py to use Astyle and/or emacs (issue4662074)
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2011 08:46:48 +0100

Keith OHara wrote Friday, July 15, 2011 4:50 AM

On Thu, 14 Jul 2011 00:47:58 -0700, Trevor Daniels <address@hidden> wrote:

I was hoping to recommend going with this, so we could
wrap up this issue, but then I found

- new_context->event_source ()->
-   add_listener (GET_LISTENER
(new_context->create_context_from_event),
+ new_context->event_source ()->
+ add_listener (GET_LISTENER
(new_context->create_context_from_event),

which looks wrong to me (by any measure of code clarity).

I commented on this in Patch Set 3,

Ah, sorry, I didn't follow all the twists and turns in
this carefully enough.

but it doesn't bother me too badly.

Well, no.  Overall the proposed change is a definite
improvement.

I put in an enhancement request for Astyle to indent multi-line statements.

Good.  So I would be happy to see your patch applied
as it is now, with this change being implemented whenever
it appears.  I don't see that causing much difficulty with
broken patches.

GNU style, interpreted literally, would put the binary operator -> on the second line. I could easily make fixcc.py enforce this, if you think it helps:

new_context->event_source ()
->add_listener (GET_LISTENER (new_context->create_context_from_event),
                ly_symbol2scm ("CreateContext"));

I'm not sure it does.  It's the indentation that immediately
shows the line is a continuation.

Trevor