Re: Need some input on a new patch for glissando-friendly stems

From: Trevor Bača
Subject: Re: Need some input on a new patch for glissando-friendly stems
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2011 10:53:45 -0400

On Wed, Jun 29, 2011 at 5:47 PM, <address@hidden> wrote:
Hey all,

I'm getting a patch together to implement glissandi stem (stems that link up to a glissando to indicate the glissando's duration to avoid awkwardness with ties - comes up all the time in Xenakis).
I have the C++ code working, but I'm looking for suggestions on the input syntax.  Currently, the input syntax is fairly hackish.  I'm looking for suggestions for not-too-ugly ways to input these glissandi stem (especially in relative contexts where the note values of the stem will have an impact on the next real note).

After I get some feedback, I'll put a patch on Reitveld for more formal reviewing.

Hey Mike,

I'm incredibly happy to hear that you're tackling the multistem glissando problem. I'll use the feature in the next score I've got coming up (still some months away), so thanks in advance for this.

Wrt input syntax the first thing that comes to mind is something similar to the the [ and ] of manual beams or the ( and ) of slurs: a type of matchfix notation to show just the series of notes, rests, chords governed by the spanner. Something like [= and =] or [- and -] might be suggestive.

Then again, perhaps \startMultistemGlissando, \stopMultistemGlissando (in parallel to \startTrillSpan, \stopTrillSpan) might be less cryptic and better for that reason.

Personally, I like \startXenakisGlissando, \stopXenakisGlissando rather a lot. And I'm certain the users interested in the feature will understand the meaning of the feature immediately from such a name. But (unless I'm mistaken) the system has so far eschewed proper names in input syntax. So perhaps the blander \startMultistemGlissando, \stopMultistemGlissando go better with the flow.

Trevor.

--
Trevor Bača
address@hidden