Re: GOP-PROP 5: build system output (probable decision)

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Re: GOP-PROP 5: build system output (probable decision)
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2011 07:49:01 +0100

Graham Percival wrote Thursday, July 21, 2011 6:37 AM

Not much response from the previous GOP-PROP 5 (update); I'm not
certain if "silence is a form of consent" [1] in this context.

In my case it's because I have difficulty in understanding precisely what the effect of this change will be on any work I do.

But I have one comment.  By far the commonest use of make
by developers is to compile the most recent change to C++
source during the development cycle.  To speed this cycle
up one usually watches the console to follow progress.
If the compile fails you need to immediately see the error
messages on the console.  It would be a nuisance if you had
to fish these out from a file somewhere.

If the compile and link succeed, you usually ctrl-C out of make
as soon as linking has finished so you can get on with testing.
So you need to see the relevant messages on the console
to determine this.

So, my question is, can you still operate like this with a straight
make command (no options needed), as this, I believe, is the commonest requirement.

Trevor

http://lilypond.org/~graham/gop/gop_5.html