Re: where X-extent of noteheads is set?

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: where X-extent of noteheads is set?
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2011 13:01:37 +0200

On Jul 23, 2011, at 12:58 PM, Janek Warchoł wrote:

> 2011/7/23 address@hidden <address@hidden>:
>> On Jul 23, 2011, at 12:19 PM, Janek Warchoł wrote:
>>
>>> I guess that the problem in general is that sometimes we want to
>>> include breve's lines in glyph width calculations, and sometimes not.
>>
>> If this is the problem, the best solution is to create a sort of
>> NoteHeadFlank grob (perhaps even NoteHeadLeftFlank and NoteHeadRight Flank)
>> that represent the vertical lines around the note à la |o|
>> This can easily be given a pure height and be worked into the horizontal
>> spacing calculations in a similar way as stems, arpeggios, etc.
>
> Maybe we can use padding for this purpose, instead of defining a new
> grob?  From what i see, padding property isn't used with NoteHeads
> now.

The problem is one of information - there shouldn't be duplicates of
information in the building of the font and the typesetting.  As you know, one
solution is font tables.  But, Lilypond already has great internal support for
the drawing of straight lines around / above / below grobs (hairpins, stems,
beams, etc.).  This seems like another case where it'd be useful to do that.

Cheers,
MS