Re: GOP-PROP 5: build system output (probable decision)

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: GOP-PROP 5: build system output (probable decision)
Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2011 15:32:20 +0100

----- Original Message ----- From: "Ian Hulin" <address@hidden>
To: <address@hidden>
Sent: Sunday, July 24, 2011 12:33 PM

Hi Trevor,

On 23/07/11 15:07, Trevor Daniels wrote:

Jan Warchoł wrote Saturday, July 23, 2011 1:39 PM

2011/7/21 Trevor Daniels <address@hidden>:

If the compile and link succeed, you usually ctrl-C out of make
as soon as linking has finished so you can get on with testing.
So you need to see the relevant messages on the console
to determine this.

I'm not sure if i understand your workflow, but I think a far better
solution than watching console output is to use a script.  I attach a
scipt that i use for this, it saves me some time.

Not really.  If you have changed only one or two C++ routines
the compile and link part of make take only a few seconds.
There's no point in letting it go on to check all the doc files.

So really no time is wasted watching the console output.  In
my case there are usually compile errors to fix most of the time,
so it takes even less time :)

Actually Graham's suggestion to have a compile and link only
target in make was a good one.  That would save having to
ctrl-C out.

There *is* a make exe "generic" target, but it doesn't do anything as if
all the binary executable targets are up-to-date. (see below).

Turns out it doesn't do anything if it's not, in some cases. touch one of the .cc files and do make exe and it does nothing. Use the make invocation I posted earlier and the .exe is rebuilt.

1+ for Graham's proposal, provided his bin target acts as a synonym for
exe, and builds all the stuff in out/bin.

If we go with my proposal (which is nice and simple as a starter) it will simply remake the .exe if any file in \lily is changed. This strikes me as a handy first step and would speed the development process up.

Graham, what are the time estimates for adding a top-level make target
for developer who's a build-system virgin?

It'd take me about 5 minutes.

--
Phil Holmes