\footnote 'bug' (or not?)

From: James Lowe
Subject: \footnote 'bug' (or not?)
Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2011 16:43:49 +0000

Hello,

>From Neil P. explaining the finer points of footnote code, while looking at my
>in-progress Doc patch for footnotes

--snip--

\footnote associates a single footnote with a particular event in the
music (usually a NoteEvent); in a certain sense it behaves like
\tweak, though I'd suggest to Mike that it actually be changed so its
behaviour is identical.  Currently we have the situation where it's
awkward to add footnotes to individual scripts and fingerings:

\relative c' {
  < c-1-\footnote #'(1 . 2) "foo" "bar" >
}

-> doesn't apply footnote to fingering, still goes on notehead

\relative c' {
   c-1-\footnote #'(1 . 2) "foo" "bar"
}

-> crashes:

Interpreting music... ERROR: In procedure symbol->string:
ERROR: Wrong type argument in position 1 (expecting symbol): (

-snip--

Is this 'crash' something we need to add to the tracker (as opposed to the
function not being used correctly by Joe User and generating an expected error
message)?

Lilypond just starts and then fails to compile on Linux CLI and spews this
message out, not sure what it does on Mac or Windows (when not using the CLI).

James