Re: Doc: NR Added new Node for Footnotes (issue4751045)

From: pkx166h
Subject: Re: Doc: NR Added new Node for Footnotes (issue4751045)
Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2011 18:06:18 +0000

Another draft - I think we're nearly there.

On 2011/07/18 21:33:33, Neil Puttock wrote:
On 18 July 2011 22:00,  <mailto:address@hidden> wrote:

See the documentation for \balloon and \balloonTextGrob.  The footnote
commands work in exactly the same way.

Thanks that helped.

\footnoteGrob tells the engraver to create a footnote whenever it sees
the right grob; in the case of noteheads and text markups in a single
timestep (i.e., a chord or multiple texts stacked on a head) each
NoteHead or TextScript grob created is picked up by the
Footnote_engraver and gets a copy of the requested footnote.

\footnote associates a single footnote with a particular event in the
music (usually a NoteEvent);

Thanks, again added an @known to illustrate this.

> Is it a silly question to ask why this engraver isn't in the Staff
> context by default? or can an engraver be in more than one at once?

There are several engravers which exist in multiple contexts (e.g.,
Parenthesis_engraver).  I haven't checked, but it seems to me that
adding the Footnote_engraver to the Staff context should be harmless
for Voice-level footnotes.

This has been added as an 'enhancement' in a separate tracker.

James

http://codereview.appspot.com/4751045/