Re: pushing vs. patch-review + countdown

From: Reinhold Kainhofer
Subject: Re: pushing vs. patch-review + countdown
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2011 01:12:15 +0200

Am Sonntag, 24. Juli 2011, 19:41:49 schrieb Graham Percival:
> If you want to avoid the countdown, then it really hinges on
> point 3.  That's most difficult to judge, but you have git push
> access because you've been around for a while.  You should have a
> fairly good idea of what I like to comment on, what Trevor likes
> to comment on, Neil, Han-Wen, Joe, etc etc.

Actually, that's the reason why I like a patch review on almost all patches:
Neil has such a good understanding of the lilypond codebase and gives so good
advice in code review that I'm learning a lot of new stuff from his review!
I always find it amazing that he knows the most obscure functions that one
should use rather than manually coding something (and thus duplicating code,
but with lower quality).
If Neil reviews a patch and doesn't find anything, I can be pretty sure that I
haven't missed some better ways.

> To pick a completely hypothetical example: if you're working on an
> obscure aspect of the parser, which virtually nobody understands
> or cares about, and you're totally certain that your patch will
> cause no problems and nobody wants to talk about it... then go
> ahead and just push.
>
> If you happened to be incorrect about thinking that nobody would
> want to talk about your patch, and somebody complains... well,
> just remember that the next time you're wondering if you should
> just push vs. waiting for the countdown.

Or just go through code review and give everyone a chance to comment (even if
you don't think anyone cares), so that if you actually break something by
mistake, you can always argue that you gave everyone a chance to look at it
beforehand.

Cheers,
Reinhold
 * http://www.fam.tuwien.ac.at/, DVR: 0005886