Re: auto numbering footnote checkin doesn't play with \null and \musicgl

From: Reinhold Kainhofer
Subject: Re: auto numbering footnote checkin doesn't play with \null and \musicglyph
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2011 11:08:49 +0200

Am Freitag 29 Juli 2011, 09:23:29 schrieb address@hidden:
> On Jul 28, 2011, at 11:46 PM, James Lowe wrote:
> > Mike,
> >
> > I *think* your recent checkin did something to your original
> > \footnote[Grob] code because taking a snippet from my example in my
> > in-progress doc patch
> >
> > \version "2.15.6"
> >
> > #(set-default-paper-size "a6")
> >
> > \book {
> >
> >  \relative c' {
> >
> >   c1
> >
> >    \breathe
> >    \footnoteGrob #'BreathingSign #'(1 . 1)
> >    \markup { \musicglyph #"rests.4" }
> >    \markup { \null }
> >
> >  }
> >
> > }
> >
> > Worked fine.
> >
> > Now it prints the numeral '1' all over the place actually. If you change
> > \null to " ", then it goes away but I get a number with no footnote. It
> > also seems to ignore the glyph used in a markup.
> >
> > My original intention in my doc patch was to show how to have a
> > 'footnoteGrob markup without a footnote (and also show how you can add
> > space between the copyright and the last footnote), Neil suggested I use
> > \null instead of " " which did the same thing, until now.
> >
> > regards
>
> James,
>
> You need to set footnote-auto-numbering = ##f in the paper block in all
> your old examples.

Still, even withautomatic numbering I would not expect the "1" to be printed
all over the place. All I would expect is that maybe one spurious footnote
appears.

Do we already have a release with the old footnote code? If so, your patch
breaks existing scores with footnotes in a stable version.

On the other hand, I often need mixed footnotes, i.e. use a dagger or a star
to add a comment to the instrument name (e.g. "not by the original author" or
"optional"), while other footnotes should be numbered sequentially
(automatically).
It would be nice to be able to have both. Maybe similar to \mark, where
\mark\default will create sequentially numbered marks, but other marks are
possible, too.

I haven't tried out the new code,  so maybe I'm missing something. I'll try to
run it on a large score that I have finished recently and which uses footnotes.

Cheers,
Reinhold

PS: If your score has multiple staves in a system, the numbering is quite
strange (starts with a footnote onthe second staff, then some on the first
staff,
then some on the second one again). I'm attaching a non-minimal example.
If I remove everything after the \pageBreaks, then the ordering is as
expected.
 * Edition Kainhofer Music Publishing, http://www.edition-kainhofer.com/
 * LilyPond music typesetting software, http://www.lilypond.org/