Re: Give DynamicText horizontal space; issues 621 631 (issue4805054)

From: Keith OHara
Subject: Re: Give DynamicText horizontal space; issues 621 631 (issue4805054)
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2011 15:20:40 -0700

On Fri, 29 Jul 2011 14:51:35 -0700, Neil Puttock <address@hidden> wrote:

The automatic behaviour is undesirable, since it introduces extra
space before the dynamic to prevent the collision.

Let's put that concept on the tracker for item 621.

You're unlikely to see this in engraved music.

Very True.

However, when was deciding how to workaround 621 for my own scores,
I decided to space the note-column because I found that the most readable.

Ideally, the collision would be handled by shifting the dynamic
automatically, taking into account any further dynamics which the
initial one might collide with if moved (in that case, a whiteout
would be more likely, but the shifting is preferred.)

I personally see no reasonable way for Lilypond to do this automatically.
Conceptually the DynamicsText would be able to break out into its own column,
either left or right of its parent, before spacing note-colums with their
springs.

My inclination now is to set a default white-out and padding for DynamicText,
and maybe also Hairpin, TimeSignature, etc.

Then the overlap is obvious but legible, and we can choose to move the
note-column
using minimum-X-extent (for which I really should put an example in the docs) or
just the DynamicText using X-offset.