Re: GOP-PROP 7: Developers as resources

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: GOP-PROP 7: Developers as resources
Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2011 18:34:26 +0200

Jan Warchoł <address@hidden> writes:

> 2011/7/29 Graham Percival <address@hidden>:
>
>> All I know is that it can't be me for the remainder of 2011.  In
>> the first place I'd be an iffy choice due to my relative
>> inexperience with lilypond programming, but the main reason is
>> that I'm needed to run GOP and GLISS.
>
> Then i think it can't be you till 2013.  I don't believe we'll sort
> GLISS out in less than a year ^^
> I have lots, *lots* of issues myself.
>
>> We could have rotating leaders -- Carl for a month while they work
>> on fret stuff, Neil for two months while they work on fundamental
>> scheme stuff, Keith for a month while they work on spacing stuff,
>> Bertrand for a month while they work on ancient notation?
>
> That's fine, but i asked who the "central authority" would be.  The
> one who will decide "we work for a month on frets under Carl's
> leadership, on Scheme under Neil's, and after that on this, and that."
> You know, the Grand Master.
> Hmm.  Han-Wen?

I think that this plan is not compatible available with the available
resources.  I don't see an abundance of programmers waiting to get
assigned an area they'll get comfortable with in the course of few
weeks, then move on to the next area.

The best I can imagine to make sense is to have BOF workshops at free
software conferences that focus on a particular area with the aim to put
as many issues in the tracker behind, under the lead of a suitable
volunteer.