Re: Proper loglevels: cmd-line option --loglevel=NONE/ERROR/WARN/PROGRES

From: reinhold . kainhofer
Subject: Re: Proper loglevels: cmd-line option --loglevel=NONE/ERROR/WARN/PROGRESS/INFO/DEBUG (issue4822055)
Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2011 17:51:18 +0000

On 2011/07/30 17:10:00, Ian Hulin (gmail) wrote:
I'm currently working on main.cc and lily.scm as part of T1686, and
may need
help with merging if this patch gets pushed first.

Sure, no problem. But AFAICS, the file loading and the path lists do not
really overlap with this patch, so merging should be easy.

Is your current design extensible to allow us to segment the old
verbose option
by function as well as debug trace level?

Maybe have a --tracelevel option with values like INITIALIZE, PATH,
FONTS,
SCHEME_DEBUG which would OR bits in the upper byte of loglevel.  That
way we
could have even finer control of the --loglevel=DEBUG output.

Yes, that should be possible. The only thing is that currently I have
only two debugging functions (debug_output and fulldebug_output). We
might extend this to
debug_output (DEBUG_LEVEL, "message"[, /*newline*/] );

Of course, it's not straightforward how to let the user specify the
desired debug level on the console (because the debug levels are no
longer in ascending verbosity, ie. one loglevel does not imply another,
like WARN implies ERROR). So we would need to provide a way to let the
user specify an OR'ed loglevel on the command line...

http://codereview.appspot.com/4822055/diff/1/scm/lily.scm#newcode288
ly:load is getting a re-write in any case as part of the fix for T1686

Okay, so I'll probably have to redo that function once you are finished
with the guile 2.0 stuff.

Cheers,
Reinhold

http://codereview.appspot.com/4822055/