debug spam (was: GOP-PROP 5: build system output (probable 2?))

From: Graham Percival
Subject: debug spam (was: GOP-PROP 5: build system output (probable 2?))
Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2011 15:10:11 -0700

On Fri, Jul 29, 2011 at 11:36:38PM +0100, Neil Puttock wrote:
> On 29 July 2011 17:20, Graham Percival <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > Could somebody get rid of these already?  They're left-over from
> > Valentin's note name changes from Dec 2010 or so;
>
> They come from parsing string-tunings-init.ly.

> > they were debugging messages which were supposed to be
> > removed, but weren't completely removed.

> No, parsing a string via ly:parser-parse-string (which is ultimately
> what the hash-extend syntax for parsing .ly code inside scheme via #{
> ... #} uses) causes the lexer to set new input called `<string>'.

Why do we output lexer input in this case, but not other cases?

I cannot see how 20 [<string>] (whether or not they're on
newlines) could in any way help debugging.  I think the underlying
architecture should be reworked so that we don't see that stuff.

Bottom line: C++ only prints stuff with printf() and cout/cerr;
guile on prints stuff with (display...) and related functions.  We
have control over all that code.  This isn't an urgent problem by
any means, but I think it *is* a problem, and if fixing this
requires some low-level changes, so be it.