Full measure rest should take more horizontal space

From: Xavier Scheuer
Subject: Full measure rest should take more horizontal space
Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2011 11:49:07 +0200

Hello,

In my everyday use of LilyPond I am often annoyed by the fact that
—especially in "tighter situations"— full measure rests take very
little horizontal space, hence their measure width are much more
*compressed* than neighbouring measures.
This results in IMHO poor output.

I do not know what "engraving references" say about the horizontal
_measure width_ in the case of "full measure rest" but I would have
expected a full measure rest to take as much horizontal space as the
corresponding-duration note (full measure-duration note).
Someone could confirm this?

%%%% Snippet

%% Full measure rest should take as much horizontal space as a note of
%% the same duration.
%% Currently the "whole rest" measure widths are smaller than
%% corresponding duration note and they are much more compressed in
%% "tighter situations".
%%
%% Note that the width of a full measure rest should adapt to its
%% duration, hence the solution of defining "minimum-length" is not
%% suitable for different time signatures.  A full measure rest in
%% 2/4 should have a smaller width than a full measure rest in 4/4
%% because a whole takes much horizontal space than a half note.
%%

\version "2.15.7"

test = \relative c' {
  c1
  R1
  c1
  R1
  \repeat unfold 2 c1
  R1*2
  \repeat unfold 2 c1
  R1
  \repeat unfold 2 c1
  R1*2
  \repeat unfold 2 c1
  R1
  c1
  R1
  c1
  c1
}

\score {
  \new Staff {
    c'1^"current full bar rest width"
    \test
  }
}

\score {
  \new Staff {
    c'1^"new (expected) full bar rest width"
    \test
  }
  \layout {
    \context {
      \Voice
      \override MultiMeasureRest #'minimum-length = #8
    }
  }
}

%%%% End of snippet