Re: GOP-PROP 5: build system output (probable 3)

From: Reinhold Kainhofer
Subject: Re: GOP-PROP 5: build system output (probable 3)
Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2011 17:40:51 +0200

Am Sunday, 31. July 2011, 01:34:16 schrieb Graham Percival:
> ** Proposal details
>
> When you run make or make doc,
>
>     * All output will be saved to various log files, with the
>       exception of output directly from make(1).
>     * By default, no other output will be displayed on the
>       console, with one exception: if a build fails, we might
>       display some portion(s) of log file(s) which give useful
>       clues about the reason for the failure.

I don't like this at all. This means that we won't see ANY warnings triggered
by snippets in the docs. Shouldn't we ensure that the examples in the
documentation compile nicely without warnings (we shouldn't advocate code that
causes warnings!)?

To see the warnings, you'll then have to wade through thousands of log files...

Cheers,
Reinhold
 * http://www.fam.tuwien.ac.at/, DVR: 0005886