Re: GOP-PROP 8: issue priorities

From: Keith OHara
Subject: Re: GOP-PROP 8: issue priorities
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2011 07:48:12 +0000 (UTC)

Graham Percival <graham <at> percival-music.ca> writes:

> ** Rationale
>
> Bug squad members are confused, users are confused, and (to a
> certain extent) Graham just makes up the rules for “Critical” as
> he goes along. Let’s get some clarity here.
>
> Giving priority to issues which hinder development may be
> controversial. However, take a hard look at our issue tracker.
> We have over 600 open bugs or patches to review. At one point,
> this number was in the low 60s. The task of maintaining lilypond –
> let alone adding large new features – cannot be handled by the
> current development team alone. We need to be more efficient in
> how current developers work, and we need to make it easier and
> more fun for new contributors.

I'm curious first what we want the "priority" field to mean.

Probably we do not mean literally the priority with which contributors will
give attention to the bugs, because contributors are volunteers driven by
individual interest.

I suggest the field is really a categorization to help contributors decide what
to give attention to.

"Critical" issues have to be addressed before a stable release, which motivates
us for the sake of the project.  Likewise "High" issues for the sake of other
contributors.

> Priority-medium:
>
>     * highest level for graphical output problems

Simply for public relations, I suggest swapping "High" and "Medium".  We will
be just as motivated to solve development-hindering problems if they are called
Medium.

I suggest that "Postponed" can mean "we're not quite sure what a proper fix
would look like, yet".  Then we know to give this issue a different kind of
attention, like looking in the textbooks, before we start coding.  Issues 39
and 621 had some dead-end programming that might have been avoided (although
dead-end programming as part of a hobby is not the end of the world).