Re: GOP-PROP 5: build system output (final)

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: GOP-PROP 5: build system output (final)
Date: Sat, 6 Aug 2011 11:07:33 +0100

----- Original Message ----- From: "Keith OHara" <address@hidden>
To: <address@hidden>
Sent: Friday, August 05, 2011 8:22 PM

Graham Percival <graham <at> percival-music.ca> writes:

** Proposal details

When you run make or make doc,

    * All output will be saved to various log files, with the
      exception of output directly from make(1).
    * By default, no other output will be displayed on the
      console, with one exception: if a build fails,
[...]
      The user may optionally request additional output to be
printed; this is controlled with the VERBOSE=x flag.

Building the program (as opposed to documentation) is now *very* nice, with

make -s bin

where -s is short for --silent to tell make not to print the commands she runs. We see errors or warnings from the changed files and nothing else. The entire source tree generates only seven warnings, all but one of which point to code we
could write more clearly.

Under this proposal, we should choose an easy-to-type VERBOSE=x option that
allows use to see the stderr stream from gcc and yacc and lex.

Thanks Keith. Please bear in mind that make bin will only look into the lily directory, so only source files there are rebuilt.

--
Phil Holmes