Re: GOP-PROP 8: issue priorities (probable decision)

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: GOP-PROP 8: issue priorities (probable decision)
Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2011 07:12:53 +0200

Keith OHara <address@hidden> writes:

> Graham Percival <graham <at> percival-music.ca> writes:
>

>> We will make a “Type-Critical”; a new stable release will only
>> occur if there are 0 type-Critical issues.
>>
> [...]
>> it also attracts the attention of potential
>> contributors, so we should avoid having any glaring problems which
>> would stop somebody from contributing and turn them away – we do
>> not want to put our “stamp of approval” on something which might
>> cost us potential contributors.
>>
> [...]
>>     * anything which stops contributors from helping out
>
> Trevor Daniels <t.daniels <at> treda.co.uk> writes:
>
>> I agree this is important, but I don't see why it
>> should prevent a new release per se.
>
> Issue 1809 is an interesting test of this policy.  `make test`
> sometimes crashes for some programmers, making it very hard for them
> to contribute, but it crashes in the Guile garbage collection, so we
> might be powerless to resolve the issue.

It crashes because the internal garbage collector data structures have
been clobbered.  Which is likely due to some Lilypond code problem (like
data available too early for collection).  So it is likely that we are
not "powerless to resolve the issue", but since the crash is happening
at a point rather remote from the likely bug and is quite sensitive to
the memory layout of the code, it is really hard to track down.