Re: Adds a site search to website and improves doc search (issue4894053)

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Adds a site search to website and improves doc search (issue4894053)
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2011 11:04:35 -0700

On Tue, Aug 23, 2011 at 03:32:40PM +0100, Phil Holmes wrote:
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Graham Percival"
> <address@hidden>
> >Partial instructions are buried in
> >http://code.google.com/p/lilypond/issues/detail?id=1663
> >It would be nice if those instructions could migrate to the CG.
>
> How about this (in a new section - Building the website locally)
>
> Building the website locally
>
> Start by making the binary files with make (typical time - 10
> minutes)

Not necessary unless you want to regenerate the pictures and
examples.  Hmm, this step kind-of relies on GOP 11 git
repositories, which is delayed for 2 weeks.  Growl.

ok, for now maybe make a separate "generating pictures and
examples" section?

> Run make website (takes a minute or so).
>
> This creates a number of files, starting with:
>
> lilypond-git/build/out-website/index.html
> lilypond-git/build/out-website/website/index.html

I don't think it's worth pointing out that first one at all.  Just
point directly to the second one, since it's built at the same
time anyway.

> To compile the documentation run make doc.  This typically
> takes a couple of hours or so.
>
> After this has been run, we get a number more copies of
> index.html, including:
>
> /lilypond-git/build/out-www/offline-
> root/Documentation/web/index.html

This is **not** the website.  That's a copy of the "web" manual,
but it's built with a completely different mechanism.

Phil, I may be misremembering.  Do you currently have
  ~/lilypond/media/pictures/
  ~/lilypond/media/ly-examples/
directories in your home directory?  I thought that you had that
set up, but if not then we should do that now.  Basically, you
follow the instructions in "initial setup" in CG 6.2, but instead
of uploading those directories to a separate server, you just copy
them on your local computer instead.