Re: MusicXML exporter (was Re: Lilypond lobbying?)

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: MusicXML exporter (was Re: Lilypond lobbying?)
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2011 17:48:26 -0600

On 8/24/11 5:31 PM, "Michael Ellis" <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 24, 2011 at 6:34 PM, Kieren MacMillan
> <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Hi all,

>> +1.
>> KMac.
>>

> This makes sense.  A standalone converter would, essentially, have to
> duplicate Lily's internal logic.  Why write the same code twice?

Hence the importance of Jan's original comment.  We need to clarify what is
wanted.

Do you want

1) XML that captures only the music (and could be imported into some other
program which will make the layout decisions)?

2) XML that captures both the music and the layout (and could therefore be
printed by some as-yet-unknown MusicXML printer)?

3) Some other XML that I haven't thought of?

My sense is that item 1) is relatively inexpensive (as Jan has discussed),
but that item 2) is relatively expensive (I think it's more than 100 expert
hours, but that's just a wild stab).

For me, item 1) is what we ought to be aiming at, at least initially.  It
seems strange to use Finale to print a layout defined by LilyPond.  If you
want to use a LilyPond layout and tweak a few things graphically, you should
be using the svg output, IMO, and editing the svg.

I think that holding out for 2) will probably delay completion of 1).

But having a well-defined enhancement request will at least allow a
developer to make a decision as to what they wish to attempt.

Thanks,

Carl