Re: Adds a site search to website and improves doc search(issue4894053)

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: Adds a site search to website and improves doc search(issue4894053)
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2011 15:19:50 +0100

----- Original Message ----- From: "Graham Percival" <address@hidden>
To: "Phil Holmes" <address@hidden>
Cc: "Phil Holmes" <address@hidden>; <address@hidden>; <address@hidden>; <address@hidden>; <address@hidden>
Sent: Tuesday, August 23, 2011 10:11 PM

On Tue, Aug 23, 2011 at 09:32:50PM +0100, Phil Holmes wrote:
----- Original Message ----- From: "Phil Holmes"
<address@hidden>
>----- Original Message ----- From: "Graham Percival"
><address@hidden>
>To: "Phil Holmes" <address@hidden>

>>This is **not** the website.  That's a copy of the "web" manual,
>>but it's built with a completely different mechanism.
>
>AFAICS it's the only version of the web material that looks like
>the real website - images, css, etc, included.

Thinking about this a little further - part of the problem is that
make website doesn't do anything like make the website.  It just
creates the html files.  It really ought to put the images and css
files in the right place, fix up the links etc.

It does do this!  -- if you have stuff in $HOME/lilypond/media/

I'm sure this would cause the normal difficulties about getting
it to work, but a) I don't think doing this would add much to
the run time of make website and b) it's really what should
happen.  You agree?

Problem:
- webserver does not have imagemagick
- webserver does not have lilypond
- webserver certainly cannot compile lilypond

Hence the $HOME/lilypond/media/ stuff.

I would like to put those in a separate git repository, so that it
would be easier to create the website (just point a variable at
your version of that other repository, instead of having to
manually create $HOME/lilypond/media/ yourself).  But that step
will be discussed in GOP-PROP 11, which is still 2 weeks off
(depending on how much time I spend on maintenance and build
issues).

In the short-term, I think it would be extremely helpful if you
could create the $HOME/lilypond/media stuff, then create the
website from a blank build tree -- convince yourself that you
can/will get the full website without running make or make doc.

Here's my latest draft of my "How to build website" instructions. This is, I believe, accurate as it stands. I don't follow the bit about lilypond/media and I've read the CG about building the website a number of times. Could you a) enlighten me a bit more and b) check that what I've written would be worth adding to the CG.

Building the website locally

A local copy of the website can be made with the command:

make website

This takes a minute or so to run.  For this to be fairly
successful, nothing else needs to be built in advance.  The top-
level page is found at:

/lilypond-git/build/out-website/website/index.html

Following most of the links from this page works, but there are
no images visible.  However, if you simply want to read a text
change you've made, this is likely to be all you need.  Links to
the manuals will not work.

If you want to see the website with the images and working links
to the manuals, you will need to start by making the binary files
with make (typical time - 10 minutes)

You will then need to compile the documentation with

make doc

This typically takes a couple of hours or so.

After this has been run, we get a number more copies of
index.html, including:

/lilypond-git/build/out-www/offline-
root/Documentation/web/index.html

This is the one that is correctly formatted with all the
pictures, style sheets, etc.  It is strictly not a formatted copy
of the website, but rather an HTML version of the web manual.

However, if we now repeat:

make website

and open

lilypond-git/build/out-website/website/index.html

We see a correctly formatted web page.  This is because the
images, etc, are created during make doc and copied by make
website - so we only need to run make doc once to get a correct-
looking website.

Phil Holmes