Re: Creates a Flag grob. (issue 4922042)

From: Mike Solomon
Subject: Re: Creates a Flag grob. (issue 4922042)
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2011 22:42:59 +0200

On Aug 25, 2011, at 9:08 PM, Mike Solomon wrote:

> On Aug 25, 2011, at 3:17 PM, Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Aug 25, 2011 at 7:03 AM, Mike Solomon <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>>> I have verified via pacifier prints that the pure heights of the flag are
>>> being taken from the stencil function and are going into the spacing engine
>>> in separation-item.cc.  However, in theory, this patch should have null
>>> effect on the minimum and ideal distances of paper columns.  This is not
>>> the case (see attached).
>>
>> ? it's not the heights but the widths that should go into separation-item?
>>
>> Have you verified that the new flag grob gets taken into account in
>> note-spacing.cc ?
>>

> I found the problem after a couple hours of banging my head against the wall.
>
> The Stem::width function uses Stem::flag to get the flag, whereas the stencil
> uses Stem::get_translated_flag.  Thus, the flag used for widths is not
> translated.  As the flag's bounding box in the font is shifted by a half stem
> length to the right of where the glyph actually is, and as the translated
> flag was always shifted by half a stem width, this is what made it work
> (albeit kludgily).
>
> I'll work this into the patch tonight or tomorrow.
>
> Cheers,
> MS

Hey all,

I've uploaded a new patch that reproduces the spacing calculations from the
current master with a TODO item to fix this.  I'm comfortable pushing this
(after running the regtests again) in its current form even though it does not
fix this problem - it simply transfers it to the new code.  I would like to fix
the problem, though, in the not-too-distant future.

Cheers,
MS