Re: make website - version

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: make website - version
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2011 22:41:38 +0100

On Thu, Aug 25, 2011 at 05:01:04PM +0100, Phil Holmes wrote:
> Currently, version numbers are hard-coded into one of the scripts
> that is run by make website.  It'd be fairly trivial to parse the
> VERSION file in the top-level source directory to create this
> correctly, on the fly.  Is this the right approach/file to use,

Parsing the VERSION file the top-level source dir is absolutely
the right way to go.  Every single python file that uses version
numbers should use that method.

Hmm, maybe it would be good to write a
def get_lilypond_version():
    current_version = (major, minor, patch_level, my_patch_level)
    stable_version = ...
    devel_version = ...
    return (current, stable_version, devel_version)
function.

Some people will complain about code duplication, but if it's
clearly marked as being duplicated, I think that's ok.
ETA: 30 minutes.

Alternately, you could add it to lilylib.py and dive into the deep
and durky world of python libraries in different directories,
spend more time fighting the build system, etc.
ETA: 4 hours.  And don't you dare propose any patch until 2.15.9
is out and we've finished fixing all the regressions in that
version.  I'm expecting 3 regressions.

(whatever you decide to do, and whatever people complain about, it
would be good to add this to the tracker.  Just a link to this
discussion is fine)