Re: Adds a site search to website and improves doc search (issue 4894053

From: percival . music . ca
Subject: Re: Adds a site search to website and improves doc search (issue 4894053)
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2011 04:26:32 +0000

I have grave doubts about adding a second search box.
1) it makes the top bar uncomfortably squashed in my default web browser
2) it requires users to choose which type of search they want to do.

#1 isn't about me forcing my desktop browser preferences on anybody, but
rather I'm making the point that almost all other websites work well on
my desktop.  I think we should be very cautious about making less accessible than the average websote.  (or perhaps I
should specify "average geek website", since I'm sure that certain other
genres of websites are much less accessible than places that I visit)

Do we have any compelling evidence that we _need_ to separate these
searches?  Didn't the previous system just search the website and stable
docs; wasn't that sufficient?

Also, IIRC there was a suggestion that we search for something like
instead of adding +2.14.  Am I misremembering / would that work / etc?