Re: Adds a site search to website and improves doc search (issue 4894053

From: percival . music . ca
Subject: Re: Adds a site search to website and improves doc search (issue 4894053)
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2011 04:26:32 +0000

I have grave doubts about adding a second search box.
1) it makes the top bar uncomfortably squashed in my default web browser
window
2) it requires users to choose which type of search they want to do.

#1 isn't about me forcing my desktop browser preferences on anybody, but
rather I'm making the point that almost all other websites work well on
my desktop.  I think we should be very cautious about making
lilypond.org less accessible than the average websote.  (or perhaps I
should specify "average geek website", since I'm sure that certain other
genres of websites are much less accessible than places that I visit)

Do we have any compelling evidence that we _need_ to separate these
searches?  Didn't the previous system just search the website and stable
docs; wasn't that sufficient?

Also, IIRC there was a suggestion that we search for something like
  site:lilypond.org/Documentation/v2.14/
instead of adding +2.14.  Am I misremembering / would that work / etc?

http://codereview.appspot.com/4894053/