xelatex text block in markups

From: Jan-Peter Voigt
Subject: xelatex text block in markups
Date: Thu, 01 Sep 2011 13:53:41 +0200

Hello lists,

I made up a markup command, to include latex-formatted text. Well, I don't want to "get rid of lilypond-book" like some people wrote on this list, but I want the oppertunity, to include a well formatted text on my first page of a book with several pieces of music. I used to take http://lsr.dsi.unimi.it/LSR/Snippet?id=586 for making paragraphs. But that one lacks hyphenation (in this example, hyphenation fails in some lines, but thats a xelatex issue) and doesn't look as balanced as latex generated output. And I haven't found a way, to produce two column output with markup-lines (did I overlook something?).

So here is what I do:
- create a temporary tex-file from a markup with paper size set with the geometry package
- process it with xelatex (from texlive 2009 on ubuntu lucid)
- convert it with pdftops (from texlive 2009 on ubuntu lucid)
- return the eps-stencil

Now this is just a proof of concept, trial or whatever.
Problems for now:
- The paragraph command is able to pagebreak, this include variant isn't - right now.
- The height of the resulting text-box has to be found by trial and error.
- Dependency on unrelated software
TBD: error checks

Does anybody has quick answer to the following questions?
- How can I determine the page height in staff-space or cm?
Not lilypond-related, but probably someone knows ;-)
- How can I crop an EPS to the actually visual size

If I have answers to these questions, I could detetermine the page-count of the temporary pdf and create <basename>-[1...].eps files and create a markup-list-command.

Well, probably one should use lilypond-book, produce the lilypdf and include that in another PDF with an external tool or use the snippet mentioned above. But I also thought about using this technique to improve e.g. footnote-markups (with hyphenation etc...).

What do you think? Suggestions welcome.
Cheers, Jan-Peter