Re: Fixes NoteColumn vs SpanBar collisions. (issue 5323062)

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: Fixes NoteColumn vs SpanBar collisions. (issue 5323062)
Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2011 10:48:04 +0100

On Nov 1, 2011, at 12:52 AM, Keith OHara wrote:

>> This fixes the SpanBar regression ID'd by Phil.
>
> Well, not exactly.  The failing regression test said:
> texidoc = "SpanBars participate in the horizontal collision system;
> the accidentals should not collide with the bar lines."
>
> This patch implements issue 1955, keeping accidentals, fingerings, etc.,
> from folding above/below bar lines at all.  Thus this patch moves the
> accidental away from the extended bar line, whether there is a span bar
> or not (e.g., whether in a PianoStaff or ChoirStaff).
>
> So if we take this patch, we should probably change the regression test,
> as well, because the SpanBars will not actually be participating in the
> horizontal collision system.
> (e.g., if somebody does \remove "Bar_engraver", the accidental collides
> with the span bar again.)

Ah, I see - yes, you're right - will change in a new patch in a couple days.

The problem with SpanBars having Y-extents is that they can never have pure Y
extents, as it is not possible to figure out how high they'll be before line
breaks.
One solution would be to create a BarStub grob that works like SpanBarStub but
in Staves.  Give it all the same properties as the BarLine save the stencil.
Then, have the extra-spacing-height callback apply to BarStub and not BarLine.

But this seems a bit excessive - where are concrete cases that involve people
removing the Bar_line_engraver and, in these cases, can they accomplish the
same thing by setting #'transparent = ##t ?

Cheers,
MS