Re: what should patchy do for staging?

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: what should patchy do for staging?
Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2011 13:28:54 +0000

On Wed, Nov 09, 2011 at 01:25:24PM +0100, David Kastrup wrote:
> Sorry to be a pest.  I am currently queuing up half a dozen of other
> issues/patches, and will likely need several releases to get the
> respective conversions done in reasonable proximity to their changes.

You're not a pest, and we certainly should have regular releases.
The problem is that there's so many distinct problems happening at
the same time:
- we can't compile normally on ubuntu 11.10
- we can't run tests when compiling with -fno-line
- we can't compile GUB on ubuntu 11.10.  (I'm now back on lildev,
  thanks Carl, and GUB is building linux-ppc::glibc at the
  moment)
- we have a half-baked, semi-working tool to automatically
  "combine" dev/staging or staging to master.
- approximately 50% of our developers and contributors don't know
  how to push to a branch.
- we have a half-baked, semi-working tool to vastly simplify the
  process of checking new patches.

I hate asking you to work on the Patchy staging stuff, since
you're doing so much fantastic work on the parser and the like,
and I don't want to overburden you or split your attention from
that work... but *I'm* not going to fiddle with the git side of
patchy, so somebody else needs to play with that.