Re: Spacing oddities

From: Keith OHara
Subject: Re: Spacing oddities
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2011 04:19:40 +0000 (UTC)

Carl Sorensen <c_sorensen <at> byu.edu> writes:

> I have a problem with understanding how [vertical] spacing works
> in the attached file.

> Page 1 has 32.76 space left, according to annotate-spacing.  The first
> system on page 2 has an extent-estimate of (-23.98 . 0).  So why won't it
> fit on the first page?

The page-breaker does not know that the 32.76 space will be there, because
at that stage LilyPond has not yet discovered that the upper staves can
take less space than the sum of their extent-estimates.

I have been drifting toward the opinion that combining the line-breaking
and page-breaking into one optimization step is too clever by half.

> Why are the extent-estimates for the first and last systems on page 2 so
> much larger than the visual extent?

I can only guess that it has something to do with the up-bow and fingering
and such things on top of beamed notes.

(I notice that your spacing overrides, trying to pull the staves together,
 are in a tug-of-war with ragged-bottom=##f, trying to stretch the staves
 to fill the page.  I guess this is just an experiment to try to convince
 LilyPond to put more systems on a page.)