Re: Pushing patches to staging

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Pushing patches to staging
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2011 22:04:25 +0000

On Sat, Nov 12, 2011 at 08:43:54PM +0100, David Kastrup wrote:
> Graham Percival <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > What does "rebase to your push target" mean?
>
> You can't push if the pushed branch is not a descendant of the branch
> you push to.
>
> It's not like this a surprising new thing.  It's just the same as
> previously.

Sorry, I was unclear.

- I am a new contributor.  No wait, a new developer who has just
  been given git push ability.
- I am a stupid.
- I have fixed a typo in the docs.  I have compiled it.  The
  1-character typo fix has gone through a 48-hour review.  Colin
  has just told me that I may push it.
- I have just executed:
    git clone master
  and applied my patch that went through review.

WHAT THE MAO DO I TYPE NOW?

I don't want to think about branches.  I don't want to think about
descendants, grandfathers, or illegitimate children.  I don't want
to think about merge vs. rebase vs. combine vs. apply vs. patch
vs. commit.

I want to copy a few lines of text from the CG and paste it into a
terminal window.

Please, somebody, not necessarily David, write down a series of
commands that I can copy&paste to get my 1-character typo fix onto
staging.

Do not reply to this email unless you give me a series of
instructions that I can copy&paste blindly.  I am not going to
read the commands.  I am not going to read the *output* of those
commands (if at all possible).  I am just going to highlight those
commands in mutt (or in firefox once they get into the CG), then
middle-mouse-click in my ~/src/lilypond/ which already contains
the commit I want to upload.

> > Can I assume that the EXACT command-line will be
> >
> > git push origin HEAD:staging
> > ?
>
> If HEAD _is_ the branch you want to push, yes.

you've lost me.  I am a stupid.  Now I am a sad stupid.  What is a
HEAD.  What is a branch.  is it impossible to allow people to make
1-character typo fixes without understanding those terms?

I want to copy&paste.  I do not want to understand.

> If your own local development branch is called "staging" as well and is
> tracking the remote staging (perhaps because you created it with
> git checkout -b staging origin/staging) then
>
>     git push origin staging
>
> will push it.  If you just write
>
>     git push
>
> then every remote-tracking branch named the same as an existing branch
> on origin will get pushed, so likely not just staging, but also master
> (if you made any changes to it).

soo... it sounds like I should copy&paste
  git push origin staging
?

> When in doubt, do
>
> git push --dry-run -v -v whateverIwanttotryout
>
> and see whether it affects the branches you think it does.

that creates output.  output that I'm supposed to read.  I don't
want to read.  Reading implies thinking, and thinking is a bad.

I think about d'Alembert's solution to the wave equation,
Helmholtz resonance, and feedback control loops with support
vector machines.  in lilypond, I just want to make a 1-character
typo fix.  I do not want to think in order to make a 1-character
typo fix.