Re: Pushing patches to staging

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Pushing patches to staging
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2011 05:06:03 +0100

Carl Sorensen <address@hidden> writes:

> On 11/12/11 4:59 PM, "Carl Sorensen" <address@hidden> wrote:
>

>>On 11/12/11 3:08 PM, "Graham Percival" <address@hidden> wrote:
>>

>>>The only problem is to develop a series of simple commands to do
>>>this task.
>>
>>Here's my set of simple commands:
>>
>>git checkout master
>>git pull origin master
>>git apply my_patch_file_name_goes_here
>
> I forgot one command, that should go right here:
>
> git commit -a
>

> If you use git am, I believe it will do the commit.

If you use git am on a patch (or patch series) created with git
format-patch, it will do the equivalent of cherry-picks instead of just
duplicating the effect on the work tree.  Better for the history than
just patching.  Worse than fast-forwarding.  Our typical tool, Rietveld,
does not use git format-patch.

For work you have done yourself, there is no point juggling with
patches.