Re: Fixes NoteColumn vs SpanBar collisions. (issue 5323062)

From: mike
Subject: Re: Fixes NoteColumn vs SpanBar collisions. (issue 5323062)
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2011 23:57:22 -0800

On Mon, 21 Nov 2011 07:06:53 +0000, address@hidden wrote:
Looks okay to me.

The ghost of the SpanBar (left over from the issue 910 patch) sometimes
has an effect
  \new GrandStaff <<
    \new Staff { e'1 | eses'''4 r2. | e'1 }
    \new Staff { e'1 | e'1 | eses4 r2. } >>
Something like
  \override Score.SpanBar #'extra-spacing-height
     = #'(+inf.0 . -inf.0)
takes care of that problem.

Fixed.

On 2011/11/10 18:49:48, mike_apollinemike.com wrote:
On Nov 10, 2011, at 10:38 AM, mailto:address@hidden wrote:

> I was talking about custom heights for every bar along the Staff,

I think the problem that this'd cause is that the overestimation may
block
lyrics/dynamics/what-have-you from sliding to the left as much as they
could.

Well, any overestimation in your blocking heights also becomes an
overestimation in the tentative space between Staves/Lyrics/Dynamics at
the horizontal spacing step.

For example, the notoriously-bad pure-height estimates for slurs cause the tentative-spacing to be looser. Thus a slur (even on a later line
or later page) will cause Lily to think the Lyrics might have to move
away, and thus avoid the sticky lyrics effect:
  \paper {ragged-right = ##t}
  \relative c''' { c2 c c c \break c( g,) }
  \addlyrics { foo bar foooooooo bar }

Use of custom locally-determined heights for each bar line seems
unnecessarily complicated (but not as bad as the grace_fixup_list so I
won't complain).

I think that you're right for most cases, but for a piece with lots of accidentals that could potentially hang over barlines, this complexity in estimation seems to help. As for the extra spacing, I'd be curious to see if a gimungous score gets looser with this patch applied. If anyone has a many-page piano or chamber music score with SpanBars, please give it a spin with this patch (and the workaround above that Keith suggests, which will be in my next patch set).

Run fixcc.py on the changed .cc files to clean up some whitespace
problems.

Will do.

http://codereview.appspot.com/5323062/diff/53040/input/regression/lyrics-pass-under-bar.ly
File input/regression/lyrics-pass-under-bar.ly (right):

http://codereview.appspot.com/5323062/diff/53040/input/regression/lyrics-pass-under-bar.ly#newcode4
input/regression/lyrics-pass-under-bar.ly:4: texidoc = "Long lyrics
should be allowed to pass under
Probably you want this test to be pushed in the same commit where you
fix issue 1955.

You're right.  Removed.

http://codereview.appspot.com/5323062/diff/53040/scm/define-grob-properties.scm
File scm/define-grob-properties.scm (right):

http://codereview.appspot.com/5323062/diff/53040/scm/define-grob-properties.scm#newcode1040
scm/define-grob-properties.scm:1040: to this side of the boolean.")
.. indicating whether a a span bar is drawn above, or respectively
below, this staff.

Rewritten.

Thanks for the feedback! I think we're almost over the hill with this one...

Cheers,
MS