Re: Fixes NoteColumn vs SpanBar collisions. (issue 5323062)

From: Keith OHara
Subject: Re: Fixes NoteColumn vs SpanBar collisions. (issue 5323062)
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2011 00:16:12 -0800

On Sun, 20 Nov 2011 23:57:22 -0800, <address@hidden> wrote:

On Mon, 21 Nov 2011 07:06:53 +0000, address@hidden wrote:

Well, any overestimation in your blocking heights also becomes an
overestimation in the tentative space between Staves/Lyrics/Dynamics
at the horizontal spacing step.

I think that you're right for most cases, but for a piece with lots of
accidentals that could potentially hang over barlines, this complexity
in estimation seems to help.

Have an example where pure-from-neighbor would do better than
axis-group-interface:height ?

As for the extra spacing, I'd be curious
to see if a gimungous score gets looser with this patch applied.

You might have understood me backwards.  An overestimation in tentative
(vertical) space between Staves/Lyrics/Dynamics will let the spacing
spanner do sometimes a /tighter/ horizontal spacing.

The overestimated tentative vertical space is forgotten when the
real vertical spacing is done.

I didn't see, and don't see any risk of, loose spacing from this patch.

I expect that occasionally, this patch will let a collision with a span
bar leak through, but it would be something crazy like an \espressivo atop
a \downbow on a note connected to a cross-staff slur.  The \espressivo
isn't pure-relevant because of the cross-staff poisoning.