Re: Uses the pure-from-neighbor-interface for NonMusicalPaperColumn hori

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: Uses the pure-from-neighbor-interface for NonMusicalPaperColumn horizontal spacing. (issue 5432070)
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2011 23:48:29 +0100

On Nov 26, 2011, at 9:56 PM, Keith OHara wrote:

> Mike, Maybe change-clefs should not get the full extra-spacing-height by
> default.

I could do this if I could call Item::break_visible before line breaking (which
would let me know which clefs are change clefs as opposed to
beginning-of-line-clefs).  However, I remember Neil saying that this was a bad
idea, although I don't remember why.  Any ideas why this call isn't Kosher?

> Engravers tend to tuck change-clefs in with the least possible disruption of
> the note spacing.
>
> Also, the test 'dots.ly' shows a ledger line sliding under a bar line.
> I think the (-1 . +1) extra-spacing height for the BarLine is not quite
> enough.  LilyPond gives ledger line columns only the minimum necessary
> extra-spacing height, which I think is correct because traditionally and
> practically people slide neighboring accidentals under ledger lines.

Perhaps a stupid question, but why does LilyPond even take ledger lines into
account if they have no vertical or horizontal extent?  How do they factor into
the spacing calculations?

> Also, there are still two definitions for extra-spacing height in
> TimeSignature.<DebussyToccataPourPiano.Peters.png><DebussyPArab.Peters.png><DebussyPArab.DurandFils.png><Cahier_dEsquisses.SchottFrères.png><DebussyToccataPourPiano.Fromont.png>

Will fix.  I see that you too have found in Debussy a gold mine of
NonMusicalPaperColumn quandaries.  I am convinced that he anticipated the
existence of LilyPond and purposefully composed music to complicate our lives.

Cheers,
MS