Re: Why no review on Doc: NR 1.6.2 - Staff Symbol?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Why no review on Doc: NR 1.6.2 - Staff Symbol?
Date: Sat, 03 Dec 2011 16:07:24 +0100

Carl Sorensen <address@hidden> writes:

> On 12/3/11 7:38 AM, "David Kastrup" <address@hidden> wrote:
>>James <address@hidden> writes:
>>> Nothing sinister about it, and am happy to revert it but don't
>>> understand why this is bad. Sure the new example is much 'simpler'
>>> than having  write all the \new Staff { with }, especially when I as a
>>> LP user want to write single system scores where I would probably
>>> never ever use \new Staff { \with.
>>You apparently did not read what I wrote.  The new example _does_ _not_
>>_work_ in standalone contexts.
> Actually, if you follow the instructions in the Learning Manual, it _does_
> work.
> See the Learning Manual, section 1.4.1 Omitted material, which explains
> that snippets from the documentation need to be enclosed in {} or
> \relative {}.
> {
>   \override Staff.StaffSymbol #'line-count = #3
>   {d4 d d d}
> }
> works just fine.

I quote the respective passage from the learning material:

       Why omit the braces?  Most examples in this manual can be inserted
    into the middle of a longer piece of music.  For these examples, it
    does not make sense to add ``\relative c'' { ... }'' - you should not
    place a `\relative' inside another `\relative'!  If we included
    ``\relative c'' { ... }'' around every example, you would not be able
    to copy a small documentation example and paste it inside a longer
    piece of your own.  Most people want to add material to an existing
    piece, so we format the manual this way.

All of this does not apply here.

David Kastrup