$LILYHOME as $TEXMFHOME with LaTeX

From: Denis Bitouzé
Subject: $LILYHOME as $TEXMFHOME with LaTeX
Date: Mon, 5 Dec 2011 16:21:43 +0000 (UTC)

Hi,

thanks a lot for developing and maintaining LilyPond!

I read the way of including LilyPond files here:

http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.14/Documentation/notation/including-lilypond-files.html

especially the way where one can avoid to specify the (relative or absolute)
path of the included file:

  1. either with the --include command line option

  2. or with the LilyPond directory ‘../ly’.

IMHO, none of these method is very handy:

  1. with the 1st one, one has to remember the option and configure his editor
for each project where "parts" files have to be included. Moreover, one could
need to include files from different locations: a configuration file in some
directory, part files in another directory,

  2. with the 2nd one, the 'ly' directory could be removed/replaced/overwritten
when LilyPond is upgraded or reinstalled.

So I suggest that LilyPond lets us have our own 'ly' directory, located in our
personal area (/home/<name>/ with Linux, /Users/<name>/Library/ with Mac OS,
C:\Users\<name>\ with Windows Vista or Seven) where we can put files (parts
files but, more interesting, configuration files) that can be included in
LilyPond files without their path.

If you are familiar with LaTeX, this 'ly' directory could be the $LILYHOME
equivalent to $TEXMFHOME.

What is opinion about this suggestion?

Best regards.