Re: Markup module patch (Issue 2026)

From: Ian Hulin
Subject: Re: Markup module patch (Issue 2026)
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2011 22:53:49 +0000

On 16/12/11 17:51, David Kastrup wrote:
> Ian Hulin <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Guile V2 insists on some thing, particularly macros being
>> defined before they are used.
>
> That's not unreasonable.
>
>> When Patrick M. first tried out using Lily with Guile 2, the only
>> way we could use it was by relying on the equivalent of the
>> Guile --auto-compile option.
>
> What do you mean with "equivalent"?  In Guilev1, it is not even
> defined.

Ah, you mistook my meaning.  What I meant was there is a new
--auto-compile CLI option in Guile 2 which is automatically switched
on in the API.  It was intended as a help by the Guile developers for
migration, but there were some unfriendly feature from our point of
view introduced at the last minute in the vanilla Guile API.

This meant that we had to roll our own code to produce or
byte-compiled files to ensure a) we knew exactly where they ended up
and b) we had some control over what they were called.  Hence our
tracker Issue 1686. In order to roll our own compilation code one of
the changes in main.cc will be to turn the Guile 2 --auto-compile
option off.

However modularising the markup code buys us two things, one we have a
back-stop in case we have to fall back to relying on Guile V2
auto-compile for the migration, two all of this unloved home-brew
interpreting code is partitioned off from the rest of the LilyPond
Scheme code.

I'll have a think about your other comments and answer them in is
separate post.

Cheers,

Ian