Re: Give slurs skylines in outside-staff-priority calculations. (issue 5

From: Reinhold Kainhofer
Subject: Re: Give slurs skylines in outside-staff-priority calculations. (issue 5504055)
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2011 14:59:35 +0100

On 28/12/2011 11:40, address@hidden wrote:
> On Dec 25, 2011, at 10:50 PM, Janek Warchoł wrote:
> Vertical skylines are useful for any object whose height changes appreciably
> over its horizontal span.  Slurs (sometimes) fall into this category.
> Accidentals fall into this category as well and have been dealt with
> similarly (I don't know who wrote the code, but there is code in
> accidental.cc to get a boxed approximation of an accidental's form).
>
> I am not sure that dynamics and lyrics have subtleties in their shape that
> could be better approximated by the use of boxes (perhaps dynamics more than
> lyrics as they are slanted, but I'm dubious of this).
>
> To fix the problem, it'll be necessary to cook up a few minimal examples
> showing each problem (ideally with lines that can be commented out to trigger
> the problem).  Once you have this, we'll be able to find the cause rather
> quickly.  I suspect that the issue arises from too-generous pure height
> approximations and/or oddities in inter-staff vertical spacing, so boxes are
> likely not the solution.

Another situation is that center-aligned barnumbers (right-aligned
barnumers simply look ugly for >100 bars) are shifted upwards by the
rectangular box of the treble clef, even though no collision would occur
at all. Simple example is attached.

Cheers,
Reinhold

 * http://www.fam.tuwien.ac.at/, DVR: 0005886